LASD Palmdale Station Child Safety Month: Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips

Palmdale, California - October 6, 2013



Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and highly poisonous gas. Children are especially vulnerable to the effects of carbon monoxide because of the way their smaller bodies process carbon monoxide. Each year, approximately 180 children die due to carbon monoxide poisoning and more than 20,000 children will visit the emergency room. By following these safety tips you can reduce your family’s odds of being injured by carbon monoxide.
  • Make sure your home has a carbon monoxide alarm! Smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are crucial inside a home. These alarms are not substitutes for each other. However, combination smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are available. Carbon monoxide alarms should be installed on every level of your home, especially near bedrooms or areas where one may sleep. Keep the carbon monoxide alarm at least 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances. 
  • The danger of carbon monoxide poisoning increases in the winter months and during hurricane season due to individuals using fuel-powered devises more frequently. Regardless of the season or month, do not use a grill, generator or camping stove inside your home or garage. 
  • If you need to warm your vehicle, remove the vehicle from the garage immediately after starting it. Never leave your vehicle running in a garage, even if the garage door is open. If you own a boat, install an alarm on your boat. Carbon monoxide can accumulate in or around the vessel. 
  • If the alarm sounds, immediately move outdoors. Call 911 or the fire department.

If you have any questions or concerns or would like additional information regarding the dangers of Carbon Monoxide please visit www.usfa.fema.gov.


Deputy Jodi Wolfe



No comments:

Post a Comment