Poisoning can happen to anyone at any age. Some poisons and medications are more likely to seriously harm children, while others more commonly injure adults. Even the safest homes contain some form of poison or medication that can cause injury to a child or cause death. Below is a list of safety tips which can help prevent injuries in your home.
- All poisons and medications should be stored out of children’s sight and reach. Small children are usually eye- level with items under the bathroom and kitchen sink. Many items like bleach, detergents, dishwasher liquid or cleaning solutions should be kept up high in a locked cabinet.
- Some items may look like they are kid friendly. Read product labels to find out what can be hazardous to your child. Some items like make-up, plants, art supplies and personal care products can be hazardous to your child’s health. When available buy child resistant packages.
- Do not leave poisonous products and medications unattended while in use. Many incidents occur when adults become distracted for a quick moment.
- Cleaning products should be kept in their original containers to avoid any confusion. Never put a potentially toxic product in a plastic soda or water bottle, where it could be mistaken for something else.
- Program the toll-free number for the Poison Control Center (1-800-222-1222) into your cell phone and home phone. The number works from anywhere in the United States 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- If your child collapses and is not breathing or has a seizure, call 911. Do not make your child vomit or give him anything unless directed by a medical professional.
- Check your home for lead-based paint. If your house was built before 1978 hire a professional to control and remove lead sources safely. If lead hazards are identified, test your child for lead exposure.
- Deputy Jodi Wolfe